Thursday, September 1, 2011

Travels in the Far East(ern US)

I have returned from the far east(ern United States)! To say it was fun is quite the understatement! I had a blast and met so many fabulous people!

Every night in Central New York (Captain) Brad Jacobs invited locals to the Jolly Roger Bar & Harvest. Brad built the pirate themed bar several years back and at one time it was quite the happening place to be for; poker, pool, drinks and just a good time. The two water displays, one in the building beside the bar, and one at the main entrance behind the dock are great atmosphere, though not so great after a few drinks entice you to visit the rest room. Warning: if you do use the water closet this is not high tech plumbing, remember, you are in a pirate bar! The tiny room does need a bit more light but even women should be fairly comfortable using the facilities. The bar is BYOB but Brad does keep some great hard liquor on the shelf. It was a much more quiet crowd Friday night but that was well and good. It gave the New York crew a chance to discuss some ideas and make plans for the week. We also had a few drinks and caught up a bit. Describing the bar does less justice than pictures do, check out the images posted on Facebook and Google+. The other very pirate themed venue I chanced to visit was Captain John’s in Sylvan Beach. The captain himself even came out to greet the crew and I! The restaurant is a bit on the high priced side, but the food is very good and the portions are fair. I would not go to this place on a daily basis but the atmosphere, that is a little Polynesian and a little Jimmy Buffet is worth it for a fun dinner with the crew. Both locations have a copy of Blackstrap’s Ecstasy on display too!

Food is a major part of getting to know any place. I think it is anyway. I have some fabulous places to recommend if anyone is looking for good all American comfort food and even some more exotic fare, at very reasonable prices. First, Charlie’s Diner. Brad took me here for lunch on Friday afternoon. It is a cute 1950’s style eatery with a gramma’s kitchen feel. The staff is incredibly friendly and the food is wonderful. I can personally recommend the Chicken Salad Club with a side of fries. I was only able to eat half of it there but every bite was amazing and I happily took the rest for later. Second, another great hometown diner, in Canastota, Dick & Bert’s, Jenn and Chip took me here for breakfast on more than one occasion during my stay. New York is known for pizza and one of the best places for square cut is Joe’s on Main Street in Whitesboro. The sauce is the right amount of sweet and the cheese is perfect! I recommend ordering something simple like pepperoni for the first try, and be warned, it is tempting! I nearly ate an entire pie by myself! Looking for something a bit more exotic? I love, love, love, Symeon’s in New Hartford! They have the best Greek food I have ever tasted and the portions are worth the price. Voss is another local favorite as far as burgers and BBQ are concerned. Be warned that you might have to wait in long lines for this one and it is all outdoor seating! Voss is more institution than anything really. The prices are great but the food is un-extraordinary. I never went hungry in New York that I can say! Small towns and quaint diners are the best places for local flavor and gossip.

Jenn Bush (Buz) took me past the Canastota Library one morning after a stop for breakfast. I nearly jumped out of the car with excitement at the site of the sign outside the building! To see my name there unexpectedly was thrilling! It really took home how real this trip was for my writing career. All of the venues that hosted my signings and talks were very accommodating, for that I am very grateful. This new author bit is tougher than it looks. I never know what to say when discussing the book with people I do not know. I am always anxious about reviews that might blast my work and call me a hack. I know it is bound to happen, but knowing that so far all locations have been very welcoming and kind helps so much! Watertown was more quiet than I anticipated considering the Pirate Days were just wrapping up. The owner of A Second Look Bookstore was super sweet though and she was really excited to see the pirates in full costume on her doorstep. I think the guys made more people smile than buy books as they wandered the town but they felt like celebrities and that made my day. Brad, Anthony and Anianna are not like the Arizona crew. In Arizona we are accustomed to photo op requests and inquiries about pirate history and what sort of pirates we are. I was glad to have them along though. I was grateful to Jenn and Chip too at the Canastota library where very few people actually stayed for the signing. Dunham had the grandest showing for the workshop and I was happy to meet a few local aspiring writers. I hope they are interested in joining the Just Write page on Facebook too. The best of the venues was by far the Park Row Espresso in Clinton, New York. The traffic was more what I am accustom to, the venue was cozy, and the coffee was wonderful. While all of the locations treated me very well I did learn what to look for as far as sales are concerned; there is a certain type of person who likes new authors and pirates, they are not everywhere.

I very much hope to return to New York and revisit all of the locations that hosted me this turn, and I hope to add a few more places now that I know what to expect. I love that I am able to take these small risks to make my writing a success and to put a smile on so many faces. More than anything this trip taught me to always be friendly and always be confident. There is a place for pirates in almost every town. People are always happy to share food, and drink and a good story. Kids everywhere love pirates! And most adults love to cater to the inner child and have a bit of fun too. There is nothing I would change about this trip and I have to again say thank you to all who helped me get to New York, sell books, entertain the masses, allowed me to stay with them, and carted me and my books around.

If you missed me this time through, please, let the venue of your choice know I am willing to return. Copies of Blackstrap’s Ecstasy are available for purchase at Ray’s Repair Shop in Whitesboro and on loan at Canastota and Dunham (Whitestown) Library. Keep a weather eye for the next books in the Corsair Captains’ series; Max’s Despair and Gato’s Pride!

No comments:

Post a Comment