Thursday, September 27, 2012

Vril - Chapter One Preview



Chapter One

Has every detective had a few odd cases?  Of course, it is the nature of the job.  Odd is a relative term in this business too.  Every gumshoe has a limit.  Every P.I. goes in with an idea of what sort of case he will take, and which ones are just a few paces enough past sane to make him shake his head, tip his hat and turn his back. 
Sure, some of us started as beat cops with field experience built up to feel as though we have seen it all.  That can make a man either harder than a pair of concrete shoes or so tenderized that near anything makes him drink it away every night.
The kids, just out of training, the bookish ones who degreed their way into the business, they amuse the most though, they are a flip of the coin.  Maybe it is all the clinicism that creates their instant cynicism and detachment.  Sad to think it though, that such young hearts could go so cold as to not see the very human side of the stories they work on. 
I have a little of both worlds.  Failed my first try through forensic studies, and could not afford the pay back on all that school without a job.  I never wanted to be a cop, an enforcer.  Too much like work to this nimble mind.  I wanted to solve not serve.  But, I did my time, ran through the physical training like a champ too, if I may say so, enjoyed the challenge really.  I was younger then.  Where my mind was too young to stay on task, my body was focused on being honed to perfection.  Picking up dames was formidable motivation for my youthful focus.  I do not think I could do it today. 
Limits, that’s what I was speaking on.  We all had them back then; we all have them now.  I did not think mine changed much.  The schooling the first time had given me enough technical savvy to see life as a case study, not much more.  Working the streets brought back my humanity, but not my faith in it.  Age and wisdom, and another few years at the books, gave me the rest.  There was nothing I had not seen on the street or read in an article.  Well, not yet anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Good start and you can tell right away what the job of the character is. I like some of the phrases like the tenderized line. It does seem a bit awkward on the first couple paragraphs so I recommend reading it aloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback! I am in the process of editing this novel and I am excited about this one almost as much as I am for Trolls to come out! I miss your weekly critique!

      Delete
  2. i enjoyed this, very easy to see thru the eyes of the speaker

    ReplyDelete