Monday, June 11, 2012

Mesa Art Walk: Books on the Beach!


Look how good I am. Another blog in a timely manner about a current event! I am getting better I swear.

So, the Mesa Art Walk:

This was the second time in attendance. I hate the drive, especially from Glendale, during rush hour traffic, in the Arizona summer heat, in my 1972 GMC Sprint with no air conditioning. *Sigh* But, it is well worth it in the end. I love the atmosphere of Main Street Mesa. The people are friendly and comfortably unique. It is welcoming to have some steady acquaintances even after so short a time. This is where I offer a little shout out to Queen’s Pizzeria on Main Street and to Kevin who works there and likes to talk about zombies and killer plants. 

The theme for June was Books on the Beach and while there were tons of local authors and books all the way down the sidewalk I didn’t really see too much more to promote that theme. Maybe I was just too involved with the Arizona Publishing section and the Photo Booth for Connotations News Zine, but really from all the hype on the morning news, I expected much more. Even the wandering patrons didn’t really seem all that into the theme. I saw a few wandering zombies in bikinis for the contest and one or two Hawaiian shirts. I think my pirate ‘bikini’ might have been a bit much, but no one seemed offended enough to tell me personally to put more clothes on. I am going with ‘normal’ attire next time, fear not good people of Main Street. Overall, it was tame compared to Steampunk Street in May.

So, I sold a few more books, met several more interesting and wonderful people, booked a few more gigs and got the chance to talk shop with Don Jacques. I did not sell any DREAD Mud Wrestling tickets (July 28th, Revolver Records)  nor did I talk enough about Talk Like a Pirate Day at Westgate (September 22nd), but I hope The DREAD Fleet will forgive since I am pretty sure I snagged us another gig in the far East.

Thank you to everyone who stopped by the table, including Ryan Lunt, even though he said he expected me to be much taller from my pictures. I hope to see more friendly faces again at the Second Friday Mesa Art Walk in July!

No comments:

Post a Comment